I moved to Helsinki from Petrozavodsk, Karelia, to study law there and, of course, to experience life in a new setting! There I will share my thoughts and photos of daily life in Helsinki and Finland as a whole.

You can subscribe to my blog - check the menu in the right!

Also follow me in Instagram

21 May 2015

Swedish

Starting to learn a new language is always about excitement of discovering new culture. I do not remember how I started learning English and German, but definitely those memories were associated with some kind of pressure of school curriculum. When I was starting to learn Finnish, I already had some vague expectations, ideas and hopes in my mind.
Today I bought Swedish grammar book and was lucky to bump into my colleague who is a native Swedish language speaker. One minute was enough to find some old-fashioned books in grammar and even a phrase, breaching gender neutraltity requirement. 
However, I did not discover any strange phrases describing student`s possible interest in alcohol and that makes me wonder why the Russian authority decided to mark the grammar book with +12 age restriction.
The label states that the +12 rating is assigned in accordance with the Federal law on protecting children against information, which may harm their health and development.
Grammar is never easy! I had the same book when I was studying German and I started learning it when I was 9, so definitely I would be breaking the law if this legislation had been enacted at that time!

My first reading experience in Swedish - the song of Gena the Crocodile from the soviet novel for children, translated from Russian to Swedish. Recollecting my knowledge of German, I even understood the sentence structure and words. However, now I am starting with basics of phonetics and finally I know how to pronounce Swedish variant of my surname, 


No comments:

Post a Comment