I moved to Helsinki from Petrozavodsk, Karelia, to study law there and, of course, to experience life in a new setting! There I will share my thoughts and photos of daily life in Helsinki and Finland as a whole.

You can subscribe to my blog - check the menu in the right!

Also follow me in Instagram

1 May 2015

Joensuu

You do not need any special reasons for celebrating Vappu. But I am lucky one, I have so many additional reasons. It is really time to hit the road and leave worries back!
This year we are especially lucky with the weather - the storm warnings appeared only in media, but not in reality!

Joensuu is a pretty small municipality (but not by Finnish standards, of course) with population amounting to around 75 thousand people, Today we actually believed it is not small at all - it seemed like everyone awakened after long winter sleep and headed to get their grasp of festive mood.

Retrocars parade is a traditional part of Vappu in Joensuu.



Ilosaari landscape featuring Finnish students in bright red haalarit 


Joensuun kaupungintalo - City Hall of Joensuu



My Vappu experience continued with watching hockey which was spoiled by two moments:
1. Finland lost
2. My Finnish is still not great enough to follow what hockey commentator is saying when there is too much noise in the bar and myself I am not a hockey fan. However, I could keep chatting with my friends and with Finnish people asking some random weird questions. Now I am sure that to train my listening skills before YKI testi  I should go to a sports bar!


No comments:

Post a Comment