I moved to Helsinki from Petrozavodsk, Karelia, to study law there and, of course, to experience life in a new setting! There I will share my thoughts and photos of daily life in Helsinki and Finland as a whole.

You can subscribe to my blog - check the menu in the right!

Also follow me in Instagram

5 Feb 2017

Payments that do not pay off?

I am an ordinary student with only two years of experience of working in academic field and no official competence in student marketing.  I base my thoughts on my basic intuition, my personal feelings of being (partly) tackled by this reform and comparisons. And I also partly base it on the feeling of confusion I faced when my friends and visitors of student fairs in three different Russian cities kept me asked about scholarship systems in Finnish universities back in autumn.Back then, early birds were already getting their letters of acceptance from the oldest universities of Europe. Pages with vital information on scholarships were still under construction. However, they already had a pricelist for studying at the master degree. 

I am a 22-year-old student from Russia. Back in year 2014, I had my first experience of applying to master degree programs. At that time, I knew that I would not have to pay tuition fees if I get admitted. I applied for four master degree programs in the Netherlands and for two – in Finland. From two out of three universities I applied for in the Netherlands I got quite attractive scholarship offers that would secure my life there.

However, I had my own personal motivation to apply to study in Finland. I knew Finnish already by that time and I had already had experience of studying as an exchange student in Finland (quite many students I knew from my exchange in Joensuu later returned to study and work in Finland) and I wanted a two-year, not an one-year master degree programme. The last argument is still standing, but all the others one have become much less persuasive.

So far, the amount of applications to the University of Helsinki have already dropped by third. Articles optimistically cite that this drop is a filter for non-motivated students, the quality of education is deciding factor and that according to some statistics, internationality indicators stay the same. Is that true?

Well, the student does not exist in the vacuum. To be determined to go to Finland, you shall have reasons for strong motivation. Family ties? Most likely, then you are already freed from paying tuition fees. Combining work with studies? The same. And you are financially stable and eligible for a student loan which may be an unachieveable dream for an average student.

So, we deal with a different target group. Namely, introduction of tuition fees tackles mostly another category – flexible and mobile students in search of open cultures, new experiences, innovation and possible challenges. They may want to travel with reindeers, see the Northern lights, study super-complicated Finnish language, but they are rational people who are weighing all offers. By the time the application period at the University of Helsinki ends, this student most likely already holds offers from the universities from other countries. If the student is talented and motivated, he or she most likely has a full scholarship offer that shall be accepted… right, just before a Finnish educational institutional in question starts to send out letters of acceptance. That was also my case, and it took long for me to weigh all options and come to Finland.

Education is not only about dreams, values and inspirations. It is also a market. 
Decision to introduce tuition fees had an economic rationale. I have no competence to discuss whether it was right or not. Moreover, we cannot reverse the system back. However, it is obvious that now selling Finnish education system as open-minded, accessible and welcoming becomes more and more difficult. Talent hunting for Finnish universities has entered the stage when they cannot slow down on their way. If the whole incentive to apply to Finland changes, you cannot solve the problem just by putting “don`t forget to pay your fee in time” clause in the old product.  Even more effort, financial and mental, shall be spent to restore this.

And it is not only about criticism. I believe, that whatever the result is it, now other stakeholders may have the better incentive for internationalization. The trade unions and private corporations will have a stronger role in taking role of internationalization and support of those who decide to come to Finland. Because those who decide to do so, will definitely be dedicated to stay even more. Creating more internships where “Finnish as a mother tongue” would not be a must, offering more feedback and counseling would be a win-win situation. In a number of feedback forms I have been filling in so far, there was no option even to insert that my study language in Finland is English. Of course, you can write this comment in some other field. But marketing and creating a brand is all about nuances, that we cannot easily walk by.


No comments:

Post a Comment