I moved to Helsinki from Petrozavodsk, Karelia, to study law there and, of course, to experience life in a new setting! There I will share my thoughts and photos of daily life in Helsinki and Finland as a whole.

You can subscribe to my blog - check the menu in the right!

Also follow me in Instagram

2 Jan 2016

Random Helsinki photos (23.12)

It took me one week to start missing Helsinki when being at home in Petrozavodsk and I decided to sort some photos (made by Olga Petrova).

Kallio church on the background (as well as the whole Kallio district of Helsinki). 

What was easily noticeable during Christmas time is simplistic decoration of Christmas trees. Soft yellow lights make the trees look so cosy and home like! In my home town, Christmas (better to say, New Year) trees are decorated in all these crazy colours. It looks nice but still not as nice as Finnish Christmas trees!


Rock Church (Temppeliaukio Church) is one of my favourite places in Helsinki. Some of my local friends try to scare me tellling that it is too harmful to visit it often because of radiation. However, I rarely have enough free time to calmly take a walk there, so it is surely not harmful.


 Lights at Esplanadi helped easily to fight off possible simptoms of depression caused by traditional winter darkness (well, I am from Karelia, I should be used to it).

Kaisatalo looking as a space aircraft. Definitely a place where I spend most time last semester. In Russia, I considered libraries dark places, where you are forced to study in the company of a couple of other students who also visit it rarely. It was a kind of cultural shock to get to know that you can warm up your own food in the library kitchen, enjoy the view at the outdoor terrace, drinking tee (almost for free) or just study in silence (or laughing and talking, if you were lucky enough to book the groupwork place).


It takes only a five-minute walk to get to the almost real forest from my apartment. No matter what time of the year it is, it is a great way to escape worries (on foot or cycling), organise a picnic, take your friends to urban hiking (a miniature version of) or just go there alone.


Sunset in Kivikko, Helsinki (24.12, photo by me)



1 comment:

  1. Very nice photos Alexandra and I have similar feelings as well while I was in Finland when it comes to library premises or just simple things in the street in Helsinki or Joensuu. I also do miss being there:)

    ReplyDelete